Mental Health Month with JNCOctober 1, 2020
This October, experience Mental Health Month with JNC.
FORUM 29 OCTOBER – NEWS UPDATE!
Mental Health First Aid Australia will be joining JNC’s Tune In + Look Out forum (book at this link.) Mental Health First Aid training teaches the skills needed to better assist someone either developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. MHFA Australia’s Community Engagement Manager will be tuning in to share more about Mental Health First Aid training and the real difference it can make to a community.
WATCH THE LATEST FEELGOOD VIDEO
From our Tuesday Walking Group: walking in a local group is great for wellbeing: “Good for my mental health”, “I feel I have a family here”, “I feel a lot more relaxed.” Watch at this link.
Why Mental Health Month matters
The past months have been challenging for everyone. So now’s a good time to find out how to enhance your own mental health and support others.
This month JNC offers events and programs supporting children, parents, older family members, carers, people who are isolated, and anyone needing assistance.
Here are some details. And find more at this link – or contact us (see below).
All webcasts mentioned can be viewed at this link from their listed start date.
Mental Health Month theme
The month’s theme, created by WayAhead Mental Health Association NSW, is ‘Tune In’.
This means being present, being aware of what’s happening within you, and in the world around you. Tune In to:
- your senses – what can you sense right now? What can you feel?
- your communities – what’s happening that you can be part of, or that you can help others be part of?
- stigma – how do attitudes and understandings of mental health and wellbeing impact people’s ability to live the lives they want?
Mental Health Month with JNC + you
JNC activities in Mental Health Month enable you to Tune In.
‘Tune in’ Tuesdays
In October, JNC presents a wellbeing webcast every Tuesday:
- Tuesday 6: ‘Tune in to Your Kids’: tips for managing anxiety in children. View at this link
- Tuesday 13: ‘Tune in to Carers’: wellbeing tips for people doing the challenging job of caring. View at this link.
- Tuesday 20: ‘Tune in to our Mob’: mental health issues for our Aboriginal Community
- Tuesday 27: ‘Tune in for Older People’: mental health tips
Also on Tuesdays: Mindfulness for Positive Childhood Development
Learn mindfulness strategies for yourself and your child in our three-session online program, ‘Mindfulness for Positive Childhood Development’, on Tuesdays 20 & 27 October & 3 November, 10am-11am.
Registration essential. Contact us – see below.
HEAR THE LATEST MHM CONVERSATION
Youth worker Drew & Josh from JNC talk about managing children’s anxiety. Listen here for the full conversation.
Watch a short video of the conversation at this link.
‘Tune In’ Forum
‘Tune in & look out for others’ is an online community forum on Thursday 29 October.
Find out about how to tune in to caring for yourself. And also find out how to support others in meeting mental health challenges.
Hear community stories, and join the discussion. Time: 10am-11am. If you want to take part, you’ll need to register. Register at this link.
Check out this website and our Facebook page every Friday in October.
JNC’s FeelGoodFriday videos feature:
- JNC Gardening Group – Friday 2
- Managing the impacts of COVID on children – Friday 9
- Qigojng class – Friday 16
- Walking Group – Friday 23
- Mental Health month highlights – Friday 30. See JNC’s Facebook page>>>
Exercising & getting outdoors
Getting active is a ‘feel good’ activity. You can do it with JNC by joining our:
- Garden Group on Mondays in Bondi Junction, from 1.30pm-3.30pm
- Walking Group on Tuesdays, leaving from Maroubra, from 9.30am-11am
- Qigong group on Wednesdays, run online by our Tai Chi volunteer Mary, from 10am-11am
Phone us on 9349 8200 between 9am and 4.30 pm, Monday to Friday, and find out how to join in any of the groups and activities listed here.
And you can find out more about how JNC can support you at this link.
Email us at email@example.com
Check out our Facebook page and Instagram account: @the_jnc