Connecting to communityMay 14, 2021
The solution is community
Feeling a bit lonely or isolated? The solution is connecting to community.
It’s Neighbourhood Centre Week (8-14 May), and the theme is: ‘Loneliness: the solution is community’. Neighbourhood centres like JNC help combat loneliness by providing spaces for people to meet and form connections.
“The past year has been particularly challenging, with the pandemic increasing a sense of isolation for many people”, says Janet Green, CEO of JNC.
“I invite you to see how JNC can support you to reduce isolation and loneliness,” says Green.
“JNC offers people of all ages the chance to connect with others in the community. Here are some of the opportunities JNC offered this week for people to come together.”
JNC in Neighbourhood Centre Week
For older people in the community, activities included:
- Social bus outings for groups of up to five
- A knitting group session
- Gentle exercise class
- A get together for a walking group trio
Parents of young children were able to:
- meet up with other parents for a talk on understanding anxiety in children
- get together with other local families at JNC’s Transition to School Playgroup in Maroubra, where their children had the chance to build skills and confidence for starting school in 2022
Community members in the Randwick Local Government area participated with enthusiasm in JNC’s Tuesday walking group at Maroubra. Watch this video featuing some of the walkers at this link>>>
At South Coogee and Namatjira social housing sites, people young and old gathered together for JNC’s weekly outreach activities. This week many people attended, keen to connect and reconnect with each other.
JNC’s volunteers had many opportunities for connecting to community this week, including:
- Making friendly phone calls to people in the community who are housebound or very isolated
- Supporting families at JNC’s playgroup
- Assisting people to learn more about using their digital devices, so that they can connect to friends and family locally and abroad
Connecting to community – more from JNC
This was just in one week! JNC, like the other 1,000 plus neighbourhood centres in Australia, can support you to connect to community. See what else JNC has to offer you at this link>>>
Phone us on 9349 8200
See our Facebook page
Email us on email@example.com