SENIORS FESTIVAL 2019 – HOW TO LOVE LIFEFebruary 8, 2019
‘Love your Life’ is the theme of the 2019 NSW Seniors Festival, to be held from Wednesday 13 February to Sunday 24 February.
It’s an important message. Leading an active, fulfilled life enhances wellbeing – both mental and physical.
EXPO ON HEALTHY LIVING
To celebrate the Seniors Festival, The Junction Neighbourhood Centre (The JNC) brings you an expo titled “Healthy Living – Healthy Mind”.
Join us on 20 February 2019 to find ways to lead an active, fulfilled life after 65.
St Helen’s Community Centre, 184 Glebe Point Road, Glebe
Talk with services & activities that support independent living, including:
- Australian Hearing
- NSW Police
- St Helen’s Community Garden
- 2RPH radio (reads newspapers and magazines for people experiencing difficulty reading for themselves)
- Access Community Transport (provides of transport to help access and participate in community life)
- Chair Yoga & Zumba (gives options for exercise at all levels –from gentle to vigorous)
- Nutritionist Victoria Malouf
- Junction Neighbourhood Centre (opportunities to connect with your community, and to volunteer)
More than information
We also invite you to
- Try out activities
- Meet others interested in learning more about ‘loving life’
- Enjoy free refreshments.
This event is presented by The JNC in partnership with City of Sydney.
Need public transport to get there? Buses 370, 431 and 433 stop at the centre.
10 TIPS FOR HEALTHY LIVING AND A HEALTHY MIND
The JNC’s ‘Healthy Living Healthy Mind’ Expo will offer you ways to access the activities suggested in this list.
- Strengthen your muscles
- Reduce blood pressure
- Reduce depression and anxiety and improve mental health.
Keeping social can help with
- Increased cognitive function.
- A sense of purpose, belonging and meaning
- Improved physical health.
- Increase levels of physical activity and help mobility & flexibility.
- Help prevent diseases like osteoporosis.
- Reduce stress levels and promote relaxation.
- Act as a pain killer
- Boost immune system and reduce stress
- Improve memory and enhance mood
Knitting can help with
- Lowering blood pressure
- Reducing depression and anxiety
- Slowing the onset of dementia
- Increasing a sense of usefulness and inclusion in society
Learning a new skill can
- Fight off boredom
- Increase your learning speed
- Help you adapt better to change
Trying new things can
- Improve your memory
- Increase your happiness level
- Create an opportunity to socialise with other people
- Prevent falls
- Reduce the risk of stroke & heart attack & increase bone density
- Make you more confident and independent
Talking with others can
- Release stress
- Strengthen relationships
- Allow another perspective on an issue
Doing art can
- Reduce anxiety and depression
- Give feelings of control and relaxation
- Improve communication, humour, socialisation and cognition
Use the many opportunities the Seniors Festival offers to love life after 65!
For more information about our services, call 9349 8200.