October is Mental Health Month in New South Wales, Victoria, and the ACT. Mental Health Month is an opportunity to raise awareness around mental health & wellbeing
The important message of Mental Health Month is that we should all ‘share the journey’: connecting with others helps to promote our wellbeing.
Sharing the Journey means:
– telling your friends and family when things are a bit tough
– finding others who have been through something similar
– connecting with your community
– finding a health professional you trust – connecting on social media
– giving your pet a cuddle
– organisations working together for the best possible wellbeing of everyone
– sharing your stories with others
– creating a sense of connectedness within your family, your community, your neighbourhood
– reaching out to someone who might need your support
The Junction Neighbourhood Centre offers a variety of activities, in October and throughout the year, that enable you share the journey with others – craft, exercise, gardening, playgroups, and more
Here are some of them.
Share the journey of maintaining your independence: Social Group Shopping at Eastgardens on Monday mornings. Provided: transport, volunteer support, social time with a group over coffee. You need a myagedcare number. Phone Emily or Janniene at TheJNC on 9349 8200.
Share the journey of preparing your child to start school: Transition to School Playgroup in Chifley on Mondays. Parents also attend. At Lifestart at Chifley Public School, 10am-11.30am. Free. Book on 9349 8200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Share the journey of getting outdoors: Join the Junction Walkers, a free weekly group in Maroubra under the auspices of the Heart Foundation. Tuesdays. Meet 9.30am at Shop 2, 669-673 Anzac Parade, Maroubra. Book on 9349 8200
Share the journey of keeping your mind active: Come and play board games in our Board Games Group and meet new people. Free. Shop 2, 669-673 Anzac Parade, Maroubra, on Thursdays from 1.30-3.30pm. Book on 9349 8200 or email@example.com
Share the journey of parenting: Playgroup for families with children aged 0-3. Little Leaps at La Perouse Public School, Fridays, 10am-11.30am. Free. To book & for details, phone (02) 9349 8200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Many more activities. See our monthly calendar, and our Facebook page on @TheJNC