Families welcome at The JNCMarch 1, 2019
At The Junction Neighbourhood Centre (many know us as The JNC), we focus on families. We believe that everyone in the community deserves the chance to make connections with other people, grow their skills, and access support.
What does this mean for you?
If you are a family with children aged 0-12 living in the Randwick LGA, we have programs and services for you that focus on
- developing positive relationships
- understanding your child’s development
- making social connections with other parents, carers and guardians
- increased wellbeing.
What’s on – for individuals
We work with individuals, together mapping out ways to grow resilience. We do this through:
- advocacy and referral to other services
- court support
- support for people in domestic violence situations
- an Aboriginal community support worker, who works with Aboriginal families using a trauma-informed focus
What’s on – join a group
Our playgroups, workshops and programs make it possible for you to meet other parents and carers, develop parenting skills, and find new ways to have fun with your child.
123 JNC A playgroup for families with children aged 0-3. Meets Thursdays in school term, 10am-12pm. Location: Lifestart at Chifley Public School, Mitchell St, Chifley. This is a supported playgroup, enabling you and your child to connect with new people and new services, and for you to develop new ways to have fun with your child. Older siblings can attend too. For people with a Health Care Card living in the Randwick LGA.
TRANSITION TO SCHOOL PLAYGROUP A playgroup for families with children starting school next year. Mondays in school term, 10am-11.30am. Location: Lifestart Building at Chifley Public School, Mitchell St, Chifley. This playgroup offers the chance for your child to make social connections and access skills and support that will make the transition to school easier. Younger siblings may attend too.
123 MAGIC PARENTING PROGRAM: A workshop series on understanding your child’s behaviour. Tuesdays 26 March, 2 April, 9 April, 10am-12pm. Location: Lionel Bowen Library, Level 3, 669-673 Anzac Parade, Maroubra. Understand how your child’s behaviour and development are connected.
EXPRESSIVE ART FOR NEW PARENTS. Take time out to be creative! Tuesday 30 April, 1pm-3pm. Hope Uniting Church, 829 Anzac Parade, Maroubra.
LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT AND BILINGUALISM. Do you speak more than one language at home, and wonder how you can make this work best for your child’s development? Workshop on Wednesday 3 April, 10am-12pm. Location: Hope Uniting Church, 829 Anzac Parade, Maroubra.
TRIPLE P PARENTING Want to develop your skill at building positive relationships with your children? Tuesdays in May and June, dates to be advised, 10am-12pm. Location: Lionel Bowen Library, Level 3, 669-673 Anzac Parade, Maroubra.
What’s coming up: watch this space
Later in the year we will also be offering the following programs and events:
- Single Parent Support Group – a safe weekly support group for single parents/carers to learn about a range of topics on parenting, including Family Court, positive co-parenting, and healthy eating.
- Men Who Father – a workshop series for fathers and male carers who want to enhance their relationship with their children and discuss challenges with other men who are also in a parenting role.
- Family Fun Day in Matraville, 10th anniversary event this year. For families and the community to connect with services and other people in the community.
Phone 9349 8200 or drop in at our centre at Shop 2, 669-673 Anzac Parade, Maroubra.
Your child’s school may also include notification of our upcoming events and programs in our newsletter – keep a look out.
Everyone on our team is accredited to facilitate our programs for parents and children, and has personal experience with parenting.